Mar 14 2016, 03:00 AM by Andy Shore
Making Metrics Sexy: Find ROI in the (Excel) Sheets
Meg Owen – Senior Digital Analyst at Edelman
Measuring social media is not impossible … it’s just complicated.
You have to know who the audience is that you’re reporting to. It varies based on who you have to present your data to.
Social & Digital Team:
- Not necessarily justifying what you’re doing—it’s about celebrating it.
- Show highlights, give a qualitative recap.
- Let your team know what worked and why, so they can apply that to content moving forward.
- Four categories for ROI: Awareness, Preference, Purchase, Advocacy.
- Growth Patterns
- Content Strategy
- Competitive Analysis
- Engagement vs. Traffic vs. Revenue
- Campaign Spotlights
- Platform Analysis
- Paid Review
Internal PR or Marketing Team
- Know what you can do for them. How can you help them.
- Top 3 Posts/Content Performers
- Key Metrics
- Social News
- 3 Things To Know
Integrated Marketing Report
- Key Insights & Data To Team
- How You Helped
- How Social Is Helping
- Show Key Wins
Senior Management / Your Boss
- Awareness as a KPI … but be able to answer the “so what?” questions
- Show you’re hitting the direct audience you want
- Business KPIs
- Social KPIs
5 Key Points
- Speak to your audience and their needs
- Sometimes less is more
- Vanity can only get you so far
- Try new things, get creative
- Be Social with social … don’t hide in the closet
Posted in Benchmark Series & Contests